How To

Access Capital Asset Management (CAM) in KFS

  1. Send an e-mail to Equipment Management, with the following information:
    • Employee Name, UCInetID, Employee ID
    • Department Organization Code(s)
    • Department Inventory Custodial Code(s)
    • Department Inventory Name(s)
  2. The DSA (Department Security Administrator) will grant access using KSAMS (Security Access Maintenance System)
  1. Log in to the KFS Asset Lookup
  2. If users cannot locate the KFS Capital Asset Management portlet, and have status as a CAM Processor/Asset Representative, have the department's DSA validate that the user is set up with Role 54 access in KSAMS, prior to contacting the KFS Support Team

Get Training on Capital Assets

Buy New Capital Equipment

  • Threshold Value
    1. $5,000
    2. Includes charges such as sales taxes, accessories and initial complement of supplies needed to put the equipment into operation
  • Useful Life
    1. At least one year
    2. See Useful Life Schedule
  • Independence
    1. Physically stands alone
    2. "Stand alone" does not necessarily mean functional independence. An item that operates with, or plugs into, another piece of equipment may still be considered a separate inventorial item.

Verify the following:

  1. Items are budgeted or otherwise allowable under agency guidelines
  2. For equipment purchases - at least 120 days remain before project expiration
  3. For other goods and services - at least 30 days remain before project expiration

Contact Sponsored Projects Administration (SPA) with questions or for approval of exceptions

Review contract/grant synopsis:

  • If title is with the Federal Government, it is non-taxable
  • If title is with the Regents or other, it is taxable

The title status of equipment purchases will determine the degree of control, tagging, and applicability of state sales tax

  1. Determine the appropriate purchasing method
  2. Ensure that the correct object codes (PDF) are used
  3. Include the following:
    • Functional description of equipment
    • Manufacturer's name
    • Manufacturer's model number (or catalog number if model number is not available)
  4. It may be necessary to assign different object codes for equipment and non-equipment items on the same order
  5. Initiate the requisition in KFS

Place decal in a visible location

Locate Equipment for Sharing

  1. Login to KFS and access Asset Lookup
  2. Check the fields you want returned in top section (be sure to include Custodial Code)
  3. Define your query by entering desired item, manufacturer, or model in description field
  4. Select "Search" to view the result on screen
  1. Identify the items that satisfy your requirements
  2. Make a note of the Custodial Code
  3. Locate the department using the link to Custodial Code in the Query screen
  4. Contact the department to request use of the desired equipment

Report Lost or Stolen Equipment

  • Check to see that equipment has not been borrowed, dismantled, discarded, or destroyed by department's faculty, staff or students
  • Report the missing items to the Campus Police Department at 949.824.5223 and ask for the case number
  • Contact UCI's Claim Administrator, Sedgwick, immediately by calling 800.416.4029 and pressing "1". Operators are available 24/7
  • Report the possible theft or property damage to Risk Services at 949.824.3257 and provide the case number
  • Complete the Asset Retirement Global Lookup document
  • Be sure to include the Campus Police report number in the explanation field and upload within the Notes and Attachments tab

Request a New Fabrication Property Number

  • Has an estimated cost of $5,000 or more
  • Is free-standing and moveable
  • Be built in-house, i.e., not by a non-UC entity
  • Upon completion, item will be placed into service for one year or longer and will remain at UC
  • UC will retain title and finished product will be a one-of-a-kind item
  • Not be available on open market
  • Parts will be purchased from multiple vendors and/or via multiple purchase orders
  • Labor represents at least 20% of cost

Complete Fabrication Justification form (PDF), fabrication property diagram, and email scanned document to Equipment Management for pre-approval

  • After pre-approval is received, the principal or account manager must complete the Asset Fabrication document for final approval: KFS > KFS Lookups & Requests - Adv
    • Include UC Account Fund or KFS Account Number in the Description Explanation field
    • Attach Fabrication Justification form (PDF) and fabrication property diagram in Notes and Attachments tab of the Asset Fabrication document
  • The Equipment Management will issue a Property ID tag number during the final approval process
    • Upon approval, a new fabrication property number will be issued and emailed to the Principal Investigator
  • Complete KFS Requisition for Capital Asset after final approval is received and Property ID tag number is issued

Fabricated equipment is defined as an item of equipment that is built or assembled in its original form from individual parts by or for university personnel under a sponsored project. Simply adding a few parts to an item does not make it a fabrication.

Standard items that are altered or customized to make them more usable on a sponsored project do not qualify as fabricated property. Using and/or connecting multiple stand alone items to accomplish a research project does not constitute fabrication.


Equipment being fabricated for sale or delivery to an external entity, such as a sponsoring corporation or agency, is not recorded in the campus equipment inventory system. Expenses for constructing such equipment, therefore, should be recorded under non-capital object codes (codes other than 9xxx series). Expenses for durable components that would otherwise be considered inventorial should be coded 8100, non-capitalized fabrication cost.

Update/Verify Equipment Inventory

University and contracting/granting agencies require campus departments to conduct periodic physical inventories of equipment. These instructions are for the Asset Inventory Certification (physical equipment inventory) due biennially. Update inventory records as changes occur on KFS.

Confirm the list is for your department. If a document appears in the Action List that belongs to a different Asset Representative, email Helen Chang ( and copy (cc) DSA with the following information:

  • AICD ID (doc) number(s)
  • Custodial Code(s)
  • Full name and UCInetID of new Asset Representative
DSA needs to reply to the email and verify request in order to complete the process. Please allow 24 hours for changes to reflect in the system.
University regulations require that a small, randomly selected sample of items from the campus equipment database be physically verified by a representative from Equipment Management at least every two years. Since the sample is randomly selected, not all campus departments will have assigned items. Those that do have assigned items in the sample will receive a list of usually one or two items to be located. The department then contacts Equipment Management to arrange a suitable time for verification. 

Loan Equipment

  • If equipment is loaned to another department for a short period, a memorandum of the transaction should be filed in the lending department. If the period of the loan exceeds one year, it should be reported to Equipment Management via email to by the lending department, giving the name of the borrowing department, the property number, and the new location of the equipment with a copy to the borrowing department .
  • When the loan is terminated, Equipment Management must be advised by the lending department.
  1. Loans or assignments of University equipment to UCI Employees for the purpose of instruction, demonstration, research, general University support, or other activity associated with the University are permissible using the University Property Leaving Campus Form.
  2. The University Property Leaving Campus form is initiated by the borrowing department employee and provide Department Head or Business Officer name and email address. The form routes to the Equipment Manager for final approval, who then assigns a Loan Agreement number. Copy of the completed agreement will be returned to the borrower, the Department Head/Business Officer and Equipment Manager via email.
  3. When the loaned equipment is returned, the lower section of the Equipment Assignment form should be completed and returned via email to
  4. Should this procedure prove impractical or unusual circumstances are involved, contact Equipment Management via email to for assistance.
  1. Loans or assignments of University equipment to non-UCI entity for the purpose of instruction, demonstration, research, general University support, or other activity associated with the University are permissible, UCI department should complete the Equipment Loan Agreement for Non-UCI Entity Borrows Equipment from UCI form, signed by the borrower and the Department Head, then forwarded to for approval.
  2. When the loaned equipment is returned, the department should notify Equipment Management with Loan Agreement Number via email to
  1. If personal property is kept on campus for use in University activities:
    1. The borrowing UCI department/unit (Borrower) must be complete an Equipment Loan Agreement for UCI Borrowing Equipment from Third Party (Equipment Loan Agreement.) The Borrower is responsible for: 
      1. obtaining the signatures of the Lender and appropriate Department Chair/Director; 
      2. obtaining the Lender’s Certification of Insurance (COI) in consultation with Risk Services, as necessary, to ensure compliance with UC’s Insurance Policy; and 
      3. forwarding the signed Equipment Loan Agreement and COI to the UCI Equipment Manager at 
      4. The Equipment Manager will assign an Equipment Loan Agreement Number to the executed loan agreement and email a copy to the equipment Borrower, copying the Department Chair/Director, the Lender, and Risk Services.
      5. Personal property (equipment) being used on campus should be identified by the equipment Borrower with a label to include "Personal Property of ____________________".
      6. Personal property shall not be repaired at University expense.
      7. When loaned items are returned, the equipment Borrower shall notify all parties of the return and reference the Equipment Loan Agreement Number.
      8. UCI Administration Policies & Procedures Section 706-14, Section A.

Buy Surplus Property

  • Surplus items are sold on an 'as is, where is, cash and carry basis'
  • No returns, no credit, no warranty. All sales are final.
  • Buyer is responsible for determining the condition of property prior to sale
  • Applicable taxes will be added
  • Moving expenses are the responsibility of the Buyer
  • Buyers must remove item(s) within one week of notification of the acceptance of a bid
  • University reserves the right to accept or reject offers/bids on each item separately, or as a whole, and to waive any offer/bid irregularities

Department employees, or their relatives, are not allowed to buy excess property originating in their department for personal use. Refer to university regulation Sec. 706-20.

View Peter Exchange listing

Contact named individual to arrange for inspection, demonstration and for the location of item

Peter's Exchange
19148 Jamboree Road (Jamboree and Birch), Irvine, CA 92612
Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays
8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Phone: 949.824.6100 for more information
  1. Submit offers to Equipment Management staff or submit your Bid Form (PDF) to
  2. Pay by cash, certified check or cashier's check payable to UC Regents. Be sure to add applicable sales tax.
  3. Drop off or mail the payment to UCI Equipment Management, 19148 Jamboree, Irvine CA 62697-6100 map and parking directions.
  4. Surplus items will only be released upon receipt of payment
  1. Discuss final price with Equipment Management staff
  2. Email the account/fund to be charged to Equipment Management staff
  3. Buyer is responsible for transporting property
  4. The Facilities Management Moving Crew 949.824.5536 is available on campus to assist on a recharge basis

Sell, Transfer, or Dispose of Surplus Departmental Property

UCI Equipment Management's guidelines for the sale, transfer or disposal of surplus university-owned material including electronic waste (e-waste). Departments are not allowed to dispose of university property without the approval of the Equipment Manager.

  • Report surplus inventorial property by completing the Asset Retirement Global document located within the KFS Capital Asset Management (CAM) portlet
  • Report non-inventorial excess property, such as cell phones, tablets, laptops, desktop computers, recharge cables, and other electronic devices that were purchased or reimbursed by university funds or extramural contracts and grants awards funds
  • Request free pick-up of any surplus property or e-waste using the Surplus Pickup Request form. We will contact you for pickup procedures and scheduling.
    • Data storage devices containing sensitive data must be wiped/reset to factory settings by departmental IT groups first
    • It is the departmental IT group's responsibility to contact the UCOP recommended vendor, Iron Mountain, for secure data destruction
    • Lab equipment must be cleaned following EH&S guidelines for decontamination. Contact EH&S at 949.824.6200 to confirm that the equipment is clear of hazardous materials
  • 55% of the proceeds from the sale of items greater than $150 will be returned to the department

Most property, working or not, has value and may be sold or recycled. See 'Disposal of Hazardous Waste' or 'Disposal of Unsalable Furniture' below for exceptions.

Note: Refer to the CAM Update Asset Retirement Training Guide (PDF) for KFS instructions

Transferring to:

  • A UCI department without a recharge - complete an Asset Transfer in KFS
  • A UCI department or other UC campus with a recharge; e-mail Helen Chang with a detailed equipment list and an account/fund for the recharge
  • Another institution or company; e-mail Helen Chang with detailed equipment list for negotiating price

Equipment that goes to another institution or company must be sold, cannot be transferred with no charge

Note: Refer to the CAM Update Transfer Training Guide (PDF) for KFS instructions

Contact EH&S to dispose of:

  • Batteries
  • Mercury containing lamps
  • Fluorescent light bulbs, light bulbs
  • Chemical, Biochemical and Radioactive waste
  • Pharmaceutical waste
  • Paint
  • Hazardous materials

Contact Facilities Management to dispose of:

  • Office partitions and related modular furniture components
  • Worn, dirty, broken furniture
  • Any condition of wooden desks, tables, bookshelves
  • Any chairs
  • All mattresses
  • Previously built in furniture