Buying Services

Using KFS Standard Requisition (PDF) is the preferred method for purchasing most services. With an approved exception or services rendered off campus, the PALCard may also be used.

As you approach any purchase, the fund source and total amount of your purchase will determine competitive bid thresholds and policies that apply.

For non-federal fund purchases:

 For federal fund purchases:

If your purchase involves a combination of federal and non-federal funds, the more restrictive Federal Fund Purchase Requirements shall apply.

For purchases greater than $50,000, contact a Procurement Services Team Member for assistance with benefits and savings negotiations. For purchases using federal funds and/or purchases greater than $100,000, see Competitive Bidding (RFX) for policies that may apply.

Coordinating Relocation Steps

Contact Procurement Services at least six weeks prior to the desired move date, so new employees receive the best possible service. Contact Procurement Services before arranging any relocations.

Verify with your supervisor or department head that the appropriate approvals to hire are in place and the employee has been offered assistance with moving expenses.

You will need to complete the Move Questionnaire

  • Initiates supplier contact with the requester
    • Initiate moving arrangements
    • Arrange for adequate insurance coverage
  • Supplier provide quote to requester
  • If requester accepts the following quote, a purchase requisition will be initiated

Create an appropriately authorized purchase order requisition, including name, current address, and telephone number(s) of the employee, and account, fund, sub code to be charged.

  • Attach Move Questionnaire PDF
  • Relocation Tax Agreement (applicable to household moves)
  • Offer Letter
  • Quote
  • Exceptional Approval Letters (if applicable)
  • Commodity code

Approval will be completed, once Procurement receive finalized invoice from Supplier

  • Approve PO to match invoice
  • Assist with loss or damage claims

The Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) and Public Utilities Commission (PUC) permit the university to obtain government tariffs and discounts from moving companies

By law, moving companies do not extend the government rates to an individual. Discount rates are only available through agreements established by Procurement Services.

The University of California has agreements with the following household moving and transportation companies. Contracted suppliers are subject to change.

For a full list of relocation companies, see the Contracted Suppliers List or contact Procurement Services

How to Obtain Copiers and/or Copier Services

  • Differences between copiers and printers
    • Copiers are the large, stand-alone machines that are used to make, collate and staple copies as well as scan and FAX documents. Printers are the small desk-top units that are typically used by individuals.
    • Note: The cost per Black and White copy for a copier is appx. $0.005 while a printer can cost as much as $0.15 per copy. Color copies cost considerably more. Desktop printers should only be used for small, low-volume applications.
  • To lease or purchase copiers and/or copier services, contact Keith Chamberlain. For purchase order amendment (POA) for copiers and/or copier services, contact Shauna Niswonger before submitting the POA in Kuali Financial System (KFS).
  • Authorized Suppliers - The University of California has agreements with the following companies. Contracted suppliers are subject to change.

Differences between copier purchase and lease - Copiers may be either purchased outright or leased. If purchased, the end user's department owns the copier at the point of sale and is responsible for its maintenance, disposal and purchase of toner and other supplies. If a copier is leased (rented), ownership remains with the leasing company (typically, the manufacturer) until the lease term ends. The department is still responsible for maintenance but has the option of renewing the lease either prior to or at the end of the lease term. At the end of the lease term, it is up to the department to decide whether to lease a new machine or purchase the existing one. Maintenance is handled one of two ways: 1) Pay for maintenance when it is needed, or, 2) pay for maintenance through "click charges". Click charges are accrued every time a copy is made and are invoiced either monthly (Xerox) or quarterly (Ricoh). Paying the click charges can be viewed as "insurance", in other words, paying the click charges pays for toner and any maintenance that is needed. However, if no maintenance is needed, then there is no reimbursement of the click charges - the end user pays regardless of the amount of maintenance required.

Once you have selected the copier/copier services, get a price quote from the supplier, which should include all charges. A quote for the purchase of a copier should clearly show the purchase price and include "click charges" as optional. A quote for a copier lease should show the monthly lease charge and include "click charges" as optional.

Create a Requisition in KFS, attach the quote and reference the quote number provided by the supplier you select. The line items should be populated as follows:


Copier Lease Examples


Copier Purchase Examples


UCI Sec. 707-10: Purchasing Procedures requires special purchasing procedures. 

  • Any purchase, lease, or service that will involve modifications to UCI facilities, or alterations to building systems, requires review and approval from UCI Facilities Management. Alterations to UCI buildings and property are typically requested from Facilities Management, not Procurement Services. 
  • Painting Services: Regardless of the dollar amount, requests for painting services should be reviewed by the Assistant Director, Skilled Trades & Construction Services. 
  • Carpets, Flooring, Draperies, Window Treatments or Tinting: Proposals or requests for purchasing and installing carpets, flooring, draperies, and window treatments or tinting in University facilities, regardless of funding source, must be directed to the Facilities Management for review. Facilities Management may conduct the work in-house, obtain bids to contract out the work, or approve the transaction proceeding as a purchase order, in which case the requesting department should submit a High Value Requisition. 

Submit request to appropriate Facilities Management contact. 

Facilities Management reviews the request and provides their recommendation. Facilities Management may conduct the work in-house, obtain bids to contract out the work, or approve the transaction proceeding as a purchase order. 
If Facilities Management approves the transaction proceeding as a purchase order, then departmental buyer submits a High Value PO Requisition. Attach the approval from Facilities Management to the Requisition.